Most dog lovers know that chocolate is an absolute no-no for their four-legged friends, as it contains theobromine which can lead to a toxic build up and even death.
But did you know there are many other human foods that are also dangerous for dogs?
Here are some of them:
- Alcohol – very bad for our canine chums as aside from making them intoxicated, it can also lead to a doggy coma and even death.
- Avocados – they contain persin which can cause severe stomach upsets in dogs, and of course the large stone in the centre is a choking hazard if swallowed.
- Coffee – it’s laden with caffeine and poisonous to dogs so definitely one to avoid.
- Grapes and raisins – both are highly toxic to dogs particularly in large quantities and can eventually lead to kidney failure.
- Macadamia nuts – nuts, as a rule, are not good for dogs largely due to their small size and therefore choking potential. However, macadamia nuts are particularly bad as they lead to weakness, vomiting and tremors.
- Milk and dairy products – they can be OK in very small doses, but most dogs are lactose intolerant, so too much will eventually lead to discomfort. Best to avoid.
- Mushrooms – as in humans, some types of mushrooms are safe to eat and some are highly poisonous, if in doubt avoid all together.
- Onions – they contain thiosulphate which is very toxic to dogs as it damages their red blood cells. Onions are a member of the ‘Allium’ family meaning other members such as garlic, leeks and chives are also very dangerous.
Overall, the very best diet for your dog is quite simply a doggy one. Stick to tailor-made dog foods and treats and you really can’t go wrong.